The Memories We Carry

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Vietnam Then and Now


I remember as a young boy when my aunt’s husband was killed in Vietnam. My uncle was a pilot in the Air Force and left behind my aunt and three young daughters. I can still recall the funeral and how sad everyone was even though I didn’t understand. In 1987, I visited The Wall in Washington, D.C. It amazed me how many names were listed and the feelings that came over you as you approached the structure. I made an etching of my Uncle’s name and was able to give it to my aunt later that summer

In 1969, my older brother left for Vietnam and served in the Army. It was a trying time for his new young wife and my family. I recall how happy we were when he returned home one year later.

Forty years later I went to Vietnam myself as a tourist. My guide was excellent and discussed the “American War” whenever I wanted. I saw firsthand what the war had produced from persons disabled from Agent Orange to being warned where to walk in remote areas because landmines were still around. I crawled around in the Ho Chi Minh tunnels and had bats fly at my face.

During my visit I was treated like royalty by the Vietnamese people. The food was excellent and the weather was HOT. I had A/C everywhere I went and was greeted with cold bottled water and chilled moist hand towels at every turn.

Upon my return to Seattle, I telephone my big brother the next day and asked “How did you ever last a year?” He laughed. When I saw him next he shared photos of his time in the Army that I had never seen.

When I have told friends and family about my trip so many others want to go. I encourage everyone to do so. It’s important we remember.

Steve Sandbakken
Sno-Isle Libraries



Photo credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment